Elim is the garbage dump ministry in El Milagro, Trujillo, Peru.
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19
This ministry began in 2003, when a group of youth from the local Alliance Church were led to one of the most forgotten and needy places of the city of Trujillo. Since then, God has not stopped sending people who have been ambassadors of the love of God in this place and have done so in a practical way by providing spiritual food and materials to children, adolescents, youth and adults. In 2010 we initiated a follow-up and discipleship classes teaching the Word of God as a response to God’s call to make disciples. Now we develop weekly Bible school programs that include fun and useful activities with children and adolescents. We also have a group of mothers learning how to crochet with plastic bags and leading Bible studies each week.
God has been faithful in adding people committed to the vision that God has in this place: vision of faith, restoration, and life. We have experienced the power of God transforming the lives of people in the landfill, but as if that was not enough, over our own lives too! Glory be to Him!
Elim’s aim is that every boy, girl, and adolescent experiencing poverty in the area may feel the love of Christ in their lives in an impactful way. Elim wants to strengthen four major pillars in the lives of these children and adolescents, in order for them to develop and form leaders to extend the impact on the future generations. These pillars are Christian formation, family environment, general wellbeing, and education.
- Education: Elim is starting a 9 month school program with math and communications teachers specifically aimed at 5th and 6th grade children. This program will help children with low grades in these important subjects to better their scholarly performances.
- Summer School: Elim offers English, dance, and art classes, which encourages creativity in children and teens.
- Family Programs: Elim has year-round classes for families to learn about the most common familial problems and how to fix them, and to learn how to create the best family atmosphere. They also have a nutrition class that educates mothers on the basics of nutrition and hygiene to better their children’s lives. Elim also offers business classes to teach mothers and adolescents how to start a business, and give them the proper tools for them to contribute to the family economy.
- Sunday school: Teaches kids how to put into practice the values taught to us through Jesus’ life.
- Discipleship and Leadership: Train leaders, and organize weekly jobs to strengthen and unify the team.
• Evangelizing and discipling
• Discovering and developing skills
• Promoting the creative and entrepreneurial spirit
• Building a multi-functional structure
• Connecting the community with the local church
• MAC3: Missions, Attitude, Creativity, Connections and Compassion